12/18/09

Morning after...


Opened my eyes this morning and there was JOAN
'You know dear, you really don't need that pitiful group. I mean really, reading aloud from a book writen AGES ago like a group of kindergarteners...although you were the best reader there, such inflection and affect to your voice'

"I'm not listening to you, I'm sleeping"

'Your alarm has gone off dear, it IS time to wake up and besides, what I'm telling you is important. You are much too smart for this, honestly if this God stuff was going to work don't you think it would've already. You just need to listen to me, obviously I know how to do it...just look at me. Babetta, this remedial, repetetive, bunk is for the birds! Did you SEE the class of people in that room...idiots! All of them! You, my dear could run rings around of the whole lot of them you have NOTHING in common with those people don't bring yourself down to their stupor!

"My name is Babetta and I"m a compulsive overeater"

'O GAWD would you stop being so dramatic! And get out of bed already your alarm went off hours ago'

"It went off 5 minutes ago, now who's being dramatic?"

'Don't speak to me that way! And besides, remember how upset your family was when you got home late, they were hungry and waiting for you, how could you be so selfish, you have responsibilities you know'

"Shut-up JOAN"

'You know he was upset, it was in the tone of his voice'

"We've already spoken about that, without YOU, so you can Shut-up now"

'Like saying that to me ever works, dear...you really should get up now. Get yourself ready for work, we'll discuss this meeting later'

"There's nothing to discuss"

'I said we'll talk about it later'

"What'd you say? I should Join O A Now?"

'Don't get smart with me'

"I'm already smart...remember?"

*photo credit
p.s.
There is part of me that agrees with her
I did internally roll my eyes and think "how juvenile" this seems during the meeting at least once if not twice...
But if I AM so damn smart...well then why hasn't it worked by now. I'm smart enough to know I need help...and I did relate with at least one other person there...and I had enough in common with everyone else.
I'm going back. Partially because I need to, and partially because JOAN doesn't want me to...
I am not JOAN,
she is not me
and the more I do that she wouldn't do
...the further apart we'll be!

1 comment:

Ursula Schneider said...

I'm so proud of you for not listening to Joan. I know the feeling, believe me, I do. I've been to those meetings and had the same feelings. But if it is the thing that gives you the courage to do what you need to do then it is so worth it!