1/31/10

Stages of Change

Recovery
Are you in need of recovery?
Are you ready for your recovery?
Have you overcome your addiction?


I'm not only learning how to deal with my own recovery, but how to understand and love those around me who are on their own journey.
These stages helped me a lot...thought I'd share.
They are specifically written from the perspective of an eating disorder because well...this my eating disorder blog, But...they can be applied to any addiction.

Pre-contemplation
  • You don't believe there is a problem (with the way you eat or diet, eating behaviors, body size, weight or the way you have attempted to change in thses areas.
  • "I'm only here because someone else (my physician, friend, family member) thinks I have a problem."
Contemplation
  • You begin to accept the possibility that there might be a problem with how you eat/diet/attempt to manage your weight.
  • "I may have a problem, but I'm not sure I can, or want, to change."
Preparation
  • You start to get ready to make changes, considering the pros and cons of the problem. You look for support from others to help you through this process.
  • "I'm planning to do something about my problem really soon. I've started to explore and discuss what to do."
  • This may include asking others what has worked for them, researching healthy options, registering and attending workshops or groups, making inquiries
Action
  • You take active steps toward changing behaviors and thoughts that support the problem.
  • "I have been actively trying to do things to recover from my problem."
  • You're following a healthy food plan, incorporating movement into your life and are present in your personal recovery program.
Maintenance
  • You have made changes but continue to be aware of the problem
  • "I have made changes to solve my problem, but need to maintain these changes actively.

The 'maintenance' phase is where I have failed miserably in the past. Actually, my support system failed too...through the Action stage and plummeted in the maintenance phase. I think too, I failed in the past because I have never attacked both sides of the problem at the same time. I have done lots of different things to change the shape and size of my body, but have never fully incorporated how I mentally felt about those changes, or the reasons I wanted (or even needed) them in the first place.

What stage are you in?

No comments: