1/28/10

Well I was tripping down the street early this morning...

Sorta funny to me that my title is the first line of my 'theme song' from yesterday's post because I 'tripped' all the way into the gym this morning.

It's been hard to go to the gym every day this week.
This morning was no better. As if having Bronchitis last week wasn't bad enough, I think I'm getting a head cold so when the alarm went off at 6am, I really just wanted to go back to sleep!
2 squirts of nasonex per nostril, 2 puffs from my inhaler, laced up the shoes and out the door.

Driving to the gym I was NOT motivated...but I WAS still driving to.the.gym.

Parked and grabbing my iPod and headphones...BLAST! My headphone cord is wrapped up in a strap from my mini purse...where are the scissors. (In hindsight I'm glad there were no scissors because I would've been miffed if I had cut the strap!)
'Oh forget it! I'll just listen to the music in the gym and walk instead of interval train today'
No..try again

(inhale/exhale) Success, cord unwrapped...now where the heck did my iPod go? It was RIGHT here in my lap. You're NOT gonna win obstacle fairies...I'm GOING into the gym!
*doors open, frantically searching for iPod* Turns out it's in the console, right where I put it the first time I gave up on my headphones...
In the gym, stretching and feeling my itchy eyes and scratchy throat creeping up on me...

At this point I decide to do the best I can with my intervals...maybe walk/speed walk rather than pushing myself to run...I'll run if I can, but it's not the end of the world if I don't....just finish the 30 minutes

What a concept
Just finish

14:17 minutes into my session and "attention gym members, there is a my color/my car in the parking lot with it's lights on.
OH GAWD are you kidding me?
What EV. I'm finishing my 30 minutes and if it dies the hub will just have to come get me
I'll be late to work but I'm finishing my session.

So I did the 30 minutes, intervals of walk/speed walk...and I ran some
Covered the same distance (just about) then went home.

Yeah...covered the same distance
And I was happy with that

HUH WHA? I totally figured I would be miffed that my running efforts seem to be for naught because I can WALK the same dang distance.

So I've come to the realization that the idea of RUNNING (okay who am I kidding, Jogging) my first 5K doesn't have to be the goal. Just finish!
And I'm okay with this
In fact I'm really comfortable with this
It doesn't mean I'm going to totally slack the training
But I don't have to go balls to the wall to be the best right out of the gate
WHOAAAAAA what who are you and what have you done to my brain?
I ALWAYS have to be the best right out of the gate.
No, that's not me...that's JOAN, not Babs
and I'm still Takin care of Babsness.
and totally looking forward to my race.

And it turns out...it wasn't my car afterall!
:)

No comments: